RCU Forums - View Single Post - OS 50cc Gemini Twin Gasoline Conversion
View Single Post
Old 03-20-2023, 03:19 AM
1967brutus

Received 76 Likes on 71 Posts

Your idea might work. There is no denying that these things have unequal distribution, and there is no denying that ANY changes to the intake system WILL have effect.

I found that for my own very crude attempts, the issue being in the "tunability" of those changes. More specific that the same change will have a different effect at different throttle settings or different RPMs.

What I however DID learn is the following.After leaving the carb, fuel evaporates, oil does not. This is NOT an instant proces, it takes time. Rather miliseconds than seconds, but time is time (ask any businessman and he will tell you that time is money, but alas...)
Immediately after the carb the oil droplets contain more fuel than further on towards the cylinder. Vapour distributes evenly, liquid does not. The liquid part of the mixture is what causes one cylinder to go leaner than the other.
Ergo: you can try to distribute the liquid part of the mixture better, OR you can try to promote evaporation.
In your case; why not try both?

The mesh "holds up" the liquid, giving it both more surface area AND more time to evaporate. Your deflector will distribute whatever liquid is left more evenly.

Trying them separately first, to see which remedy does what exactly, will be extremely educational...

EDIT; I see you return the crankcase effluent back to the air intake. I can see the reason why people might want to do that, but I have poor experiences with that: Because the oil does not return as a real mist, but rather as coarser droplets, it caused irregular running in the one engine that had that (my 91 FS single).
I also do not see any benefit from recirculating combustion residue and wear particles through the engine a 2nd time (or a third, or a fourth, until it finally finds its way to the exhaust valve). IMHO, once through is enough.

Last edited by 1967brutus; 03-20-2023 at 03:30 AM.