RCU Forums - View Single Post - BalsaUSA 1/4 Piper J3 Cub servo selection advice
Old 03-22-2023, 04:00 PM
Masterguns

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mongo
does the kit mfgr make any servo recommendations?
if so, i would start with those specs, and really, as long as the speed/torque specs are met, analog v digital becomes a matter of personal preference.
I just got the kit this afternoon. I've learned that BUSA doesn't put much info about all the specs & the accessories you'll need for this kit in their ads. Yes, I know this isn't an ARF, but I'm surprised that you'll need much more than what they advertise than I'd anticipated to build this into a respectable model if you don't already have such things. Thankfully I do. You need to be familiar with what's in the instructions before hand & are able to decipher them. I'm not in a rush and maybe I'll wait for the Sig kit to restock if I don't get this one completed beforehand. I still look forward to the build, however. I've not built a kit this large before & it'll be a welcome challenge.

They only suggest in the instructions to go with a servo that has a minimum of 100oz/in torque. These instructions are confusing in some areas, the pics aren't that great & there are typos on the references. I went with the HiTech 5645 Standard Digital High Torque Metal Gear x5 (HS-5645MG at HH site). Those are 143oz/in @4.8v. They should work nicely. Thanks for your reply!

S/F,
Masterguns