RCU Forums - View Single Post - OS 50cc Gemini Twin Gasoline Conversion
View Single Post
Old 03-23-2023, 02:00 AM
1967brutus

Received 76 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by mitchilito
With regard to the dual nitro-carb setup on the Saito 300: it does not have a fuel pump or fuel regulator like the Walbo. These shortcomings are two of the things I wanted to address with my conversions.
WRT the thing about "fuel pump"or "pressure regulator", I can ASSURE you from meanwhile longterm experience, that these items are not only highly overrated, they also are totally obsolete! Can't stress this enough.
The vid below is 5 years old and stems from before the electronic fuel control I use nowadays, and things have only gotten better since.

We all know to test our glow engines at WOT with the nose vertical in order to check WOT mixture settings, and we also all know, that it is NOT a given that a glow engine can accelerate from idle to WOT while the nose is vertical. You're lucky if they do, most won't accelerate with the nose up, unless you richen idle mixture such that throttle response becomes hesitant in level flight. So we don't do that, and accept that it won't accelerate, because it never presented a problem, right? Now hold my beer:

This is nothing but a modded glow carb and muffler pressure, and it accelerates from idle to full regardless of whether the nose is level or vertical. And ALL my engines do that...

There is a compromise in that the fuel tank cannot be located in CoG, but I am wondering how significant that is with an 8 oz tank on a 13 lbs plane, and 45 minutes of flight from that tank (1 oz weight change per 5 minutes). So in all fairness, I consider all efforts related to moving the tank towards CoG as a bit of a waste of time.

As for the uneven mixture distribution: the ONLY thing that REALLY works 100% of the time throughout the full throttle range, is to make sure ALL fuel evaporates before the split into the individual headers. Vapour distributes equally, oil does not. As long as there is fuel still in solution in that oil, nothing is going to get it right. All you can hope for is "as good as it gets".
For my own FT160, I have achieved equal cylinder temperatures within 2~3 degrees Celsius from roughly 15% power (corresponds to about 3000~3500 RPM) upwards to about 90% power (corresponds to äbout 400 RPM below peak). Below that one cylinder drops away about 15~20 deg C, and at WOT I see roughly 10 deg C difference. This is as measured in flight. Ground figures differ, because due to the rotating motion of the propwash, both cylinders get far from equal cooling as well: Richt cylinder receives air coming from below, where muffler and pushrod tubes hinder airflow a bit, left cylinder receives air from above, where it hits the fins unhindered. Left cylinder tends to run cooler because of that.
I am not interested in ground behaviour, qas long as it is acceptable enough to taxi out to the runway and get the plane in the air.
A side note here: I fought larger temperature differences for a long time until I spent some time locating the temp probes in exactly identical places. The location itself is not that important, but the fact that left and right are located the same IS important. Really makes the difference between chasing your own tail and getting consistent results when making a change.

Unfortunately the radial is a bit less consistent, but here too, the thing with evaporation (the solenoid creates that purely as a side-effect) reduced the temperature differences from well over 100 deg C to less than 30, which I think is acceptable for a radial.

Now please don't get me wrong: I am NOT saying that you or anybody else should abandon pumper carbs. They are working, and working well. It is NOT that. It is just that it is a bit of a waste of time thinking that a gasser conversion HAS to have such carb. It doesn't. It really doesn't, and anything previously running glow fuel and glow carbs, does not need it. (Yes, I think Saito took the wrong turn here).
What I AM saying is that you have to look for ways to promote evaporation of fuel. Be that intake air heating, introduction of turbulence, whatever, I don't know, but that evaporation is ALL important on multicylinders with a single carb.
Singles less so, because there is nothing to get out of sync, in those situations it is only efficiency and cleanliness of combustion, which on this scale is rather unimportant. But multies with a single carb, evaporate evaporate evaporate

Last edited by 1967brutus; 03-23-2023 at 02:24 AM.