RCU Forums - View Single Post - Welcome to Club SAITO !
View Single Post
Old 03-29-2023, 06:30 PM
the Wasp
My Feedback: (1)

Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Cougar429
Jim, I was a Millwright for over 20 years and all the Bridgeports had a manual pump lube system we loaded with Way 68. All our other CNC mills with ways and Gibbs, as well as anything with linear bearings basically used the same setup.Those had an internal pump cycle timed through the controller. Only issue is if stagnant for any length of time the Waylube tends to have the wax component settle out.
Otherwise, if you want a long lasting and tenacious grease I would recommend a graphite lube. Just avoid touching any as it is a bit messy. There are also high-pressure greases that have some serious surfactant qualities, meaning they'll stay where applied and not squeeze out under load.
Don't use anything like Anti-Seize.
ps. I have worked with Waylube as thick as 220. That has the flow characteristics of epoxy!.
I use the Quaker gear oil for the ways on my Lathe. when it's gone I plain to get some thicker stuff. I don't use my lathe much either. but what makes me wonder, is, after I use the oil I can't find where it goes after I use the carriage or tail stock? LOL

Jim