RCU Forums - View Single Post - Cox International considering production of the Cox .049 Tee Dee
Old 04-18-2023, 11:05 AM
GallopingGhostler

Received 79 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by aspeed
I've worn out a few Bees from leaking out of the crank at the front. Would just rev up, slow down, rev up...
Sounds like there was enough slop in the crankcase crankshaft bore, that it was leaking some air in through the bearing opening into the crankcase. You really got your mileage on these Bees. (For clarinet keywork, one would swedge the end with a special type of crimping tool that would take up the worn slack narrowing the inner diameter to fit the holding screw shaft. Would be interesting to use such tool on the older tapered nosed Bee crankcases. Or, even use an automobile engine tappet guide knurling tool.) Fortunately for the Bees, except for the earliest (Thermal Hopper et. al.), there are replacement crankcases and crankshafts still available, if one doesn't mind losing a little historic look with the later straight crankcase noses.

Originally Posted by aspeed
one TD .051 piston cyl. . Got it well used and ran it a few times, but it was just too hard to start with no compression even with the starter.
I guess, now you have a shelf display item. I just got one recently, it was a runner but still has good compression. Need to replace the red carb body and prop thrust plate, install a new venturi. Fortunately it came with the NVA assembly compĺete with needle, spring and spray body, plus an accessory pylon engine mount for a glider.