RCU Forums - View Single Post - Road trips: 2023
View Single Post
Old 05-10-2023, 02:35 PM
samparfitt
My Feedback: (43)

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Back to assembling the A-1 Skyraider from Legend hobbies.

I needed to move the throttle servo from where the original owner installed it to make room for the batteries and fuel tank.
Also, I took off the wing and installed 3 batteries under the 'floor board' in the picture; 2 for the receiver and one for the ignition.
QUESTION: ON the EME 60 engine's ignition, there is a red connector and two 'normal' connectors.
One of the 'normal' connectors goes to the 'sensor' but I'm not sure if the battery connects to the other 'normal' connector or
the red connector. The red connector seems like it's for some 'monitoring' as it's only a 2 prong, 'squarish' connector
so it seems like the battery would go to the other 'normal' connector.
The manual has no info on it.

The old servo tray was removed; butchered area to the left.
The new location will be one former 'back' after I make the servo trays.

Now there's enough room for the fuel tank, 'self starter' motor battery and the 'electric' retract battery.
This is my first gear that are electric.

The Sullivan rods go along the outside for a couple of 'formers' and then go back inside the fuse to connect to the servos.
Need a choke servo; makes no sense to have a 'remote motor' starter and then have to reach into the motor area to move the choke!

Servos behind this former.

Had to cut some servo trays.
Tools of the trade:

Lots of files needed after using the scroll saw.

After drilling several holes into the 'slots' this saw came in 'handy' to remove the bulk of the remaining material.

Epoxied the 2 trays and will leave that 'cook'.
I marked the original servo parts with an 'O' that I used as a template so I didn't, accidently, epoxy it.

================================================== ==============
Ziroli F4U Corsair.
Might as well 'work' on 2 planes!

I acquired this plane two years ago.
I thought I'd fly it to insure it flew OK since it is a very old plane before re-painting it.

Well, late last season, I did something I haven't done in a loooong time; while coming 'in for a landing' I got it too slow and it dropped about 15'.
Last Fall I patched it 'up'.

BEFORE:

AFTER:

Installed the G-62.
I'm used to having a DA-85 in Ziroli planes so I need to keep the 'throttle up' when landing!

One of the formers and throttle servo tray needed some epoxy.
One can see how old this plane is by the color of the wood!

=============================================

Just purchased this Byron 85" F4U at a Winter show.
Needs some TLC.

It's nice when you're scrounging around in your 'plane room' and find a G-62 that you 'forgot about'!
It will go into this plane.
Old age ain't for wimps!
Also, it's weird being the same age as old people!

Last edited by samparfitt; 05-10-2023 at 02:48 PM.