RCU Forums - View Single Post - old timers look here must be 50+ years only
Old 05-25-2023, 03:22 AM
ETpilot

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Hello all. I haven’t posted here in a long time but have managed to read the thread from time to time. I’ve been involved in the mother of all homestead moves. MY LAST!!!

We started by selling a home in Florida. I moved all the contents to storage in Texas. Then the wife purchased a home in NE PA. Closer to kids and family. So I moved all the Florida Contents to PA. Then came the really bad scene. Dispose of things amassed over 33 years in Texas for that final trip to PA.

Getting rid of things is not that easy. The pandemic didn’t help nor our current economy. Selling is not as hot as it once was. I’m hoping to sell off the equipment I have. Home items and clothing I plan to donate to a church.

A Hitch in the Giddy-up. Back in March I set up for a farm equipment sale. I work alone with my tractor. The equipment was large, heavy and some required many moves on and off the tractor. The sale was a success but not known to me at the time I was injuring myself.

I had injured my shoulder muscles and developed a case of Bursitis. Painful and it sure put a dent in my progress. I just got back from PA. It was the worst trip so far, physically. I thought I’m sitting and just driving easy-peasy. Well no, you use a lot of your arms in driving. Shifting a manual tranny was painful. Starting the engine required use of a different hand. Then I had to unload, set things up and make the trip back. A trip to remember. Now I’m in Texas resting and slowly healing.

With Bursitis I couldn’t raise my arms above my shoulders. I learned new ways to dress, put on socks, tie shoelaces and how to reach things above my head. Much better today.

I just turned 80. This has gotten me thinking about my future plans. I had planned a shop to continue the things that I do. Now I’m rethinking all of that. RC IC engine flying will be on hold. Electric foam airplane flying will be the thing. I have a nice field to do foamy flying.

I’ve always been physically fit but I am, now, a member of the Walking Wounded. Thinking of the future. So much more to do.