RCU Forums - View Single Post - Sailboat steering
View Single Post
Old 12-04-2003, 11:52 PM
Bill McW

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Sailboat steering

Dragon.

I'm not personally too keen on "Ready-to-Sail" stuff because it really never is.
You'll become addicted to rc sailing as soon as you take the boat out of the box because you can make it move. You will then learn your boat's limitations as well as yours in the next few changes of batteries. Then you will begin to explore the outer edges of RC sailing. That's when the cheapo stuff begins to fail on you.
You never hear of the quality of the winches in the specs. of these "RTC" boats. I will guarantee you that the stock sail winch isn't powerful enough. Generally, these boats are woefully underpowered. All of a sudden you start improving winches, lines and fittings and all of a sudden you no longer have a "RTS" boat and have invested twice what you paid for it in the first place.
I have a Nirvana. It's a perfect example or a wonderfully designed and capable "RTS" boat that didn't quite materialize in the manufacturing process.
I would assume the Kyosho is a better product, but you get low-end electronics wherever you go in "RTS", excluding the Laser, but it is a $400- plus investment.
Check out some of the build-yourself kits. Generally, they come without electronics. When you buy a quality transmitter you usually get a package including radio, receiver, higher quality sail and rudder servos, a battery holder and a switch. Almost always, these components readily fit the control tray of a kit boats.
Tower Hobbies offers "Combos" that include all the above, and usually a more-than-adequate sail winch (motor).
Now think of where you are going to sail and the normal conditions. Is it windy or pretty still? Boats with smaller waterlines can't take wind and waves very well. Up to 30", you have a pond sailer. Get 35 or 40" and you can take twice the wind and waves.
Kyosho makes great kits that are not-that-hard to assemble. There are others that likely are as good.
I have a Nirvana (first boat), a SeaWind, RC Tug and a Laser. It has been a process of learning. I am only fond of the Nirvana because it introduced me to the hobby. I spend far more time fixing the Nirvana than all the other boats combined. It is fine now, but I have replaced then rigging, rudder and sail winch and pretty much all other running rigging.
Build your own boat. Learn all about it as you go. Be proud of your accomplishments. Your hand-built boat will always sail better than an out-of-the-box boat.
It will look far better on display in your home too.

Bill