RCU Forums - View Single Post - how to seal this area where the monocote is open
Old 12-26-2003, 04:30 PM
LenLee
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: how to seal this area where the monocote is open

Hi Joe. What I usually due for this type of covering job is to take the sheet of monokote I plan to cover the wing with and lay it over the wing and see where the pushrod wants to poke through. Then I make a small hole in the covering in that spot so that the pushrod will fit through the hole and let the monokote lay flat against the wing. I'll then begin pulling and tacking down around all the outside edges of the wing with my heating iron and then use my heat gun to get the monokote nice and tight on the wing. Once that's done, I take my trim iron and use it to carefully adhere the monokote around the opening where the pushrod comes through. Then I carefully trim the monokote out of the opening, leaving just enough extra around the inside edge to so I can heat and seal it along the inside edge of the opening so that none of the bare wood is showing. Basically what you will need is a sealing iron, a trim iron, and a heat gun. If you've never used monokote before or covered a plane before, it would be a pretty good idea to check out some of the other threads on this site that discuss how to do this. There's a lot of great info out there on the site! Good Luck!! Len