RCU Forums - View Single Post - Help Please.... I've been beat up by props....
Old 12-31-2003, 10:06 AM
GSNut
My Feedback: (8)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Help Please.... I've been beat up by props....

ORIGINAL: hoppy

I can't for the LIFE OF ME drill a freakin hole straight enough to balance a prop..... I have to remove so much material that I'm afraid to try the prop. I've destroyed 3 props. [:@]

I want to puchase a 20 x 10 prop that will fit the above application. Any suggestions please?

[:-]

Have used a taper reamer at times, but prefer a two or three fluted centering end mill/or a cap screw counter sink ( http://www.morsecuttingtools.com/countersinks/1766.html ) to use in a drill press though you can use a hand drill. The end mill has a 1/4 inch button that keeps the end mill / counter sink centered in the predrilled hole in your prop as it mills the material away..

Another cutting tool quite often used is a counterbore very similar to the countersink and are interchangeable in use...there are so many sizes available that you can virtually find most any thing you may want..or ever need.

Hint: make a cut from the back side about 1/4 to 3/8 in. deep first then flip the prop over and finish from the front side all the way through... also end mills are available from machine tool suppliers and normally used on metal lathes and drill presses... more expensive than drill bits but they will give you a perfect center and last for years. Available in most any size you might require..Check out Harbor Freight or Sears, maybe.. www.dogpile.com.. for others.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki19562.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	3.7 KB
ID:	86478  
Attached Images