View Single Post
Old 01-02-2004, 07:41 PM
RatHead

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting Back in

I've recently decided to get back in to RC planes. I built my first RC trainer (Aero-star 40) about 7 years ago. I was trained and flew at an AMA sanctioned field and in the following year flew an ugly/super stick style ARF quite well. I loved snap rolls and aerobatics. But that was the last of it. The shop and field are long gone as are my planes and equipment.

My brother bought a house in farm area and his backyard is about 1/4 mile long, the only trees are at the rear of the field. His yard was literally produce. It's nearly the same size as my last field, maybe fewer trees. So here's my questions...

1. What kind of plane should I purchase? I want an ARF, don't want a trainer as I think I would get bored too quick. But I don't want to destroy it immediately . I'm leaning towards a Hobbico Avistar.

2. How do you make an acceptable runway from rough farm land? Blacktop and cement are not an option.

3. I really want an Ultra Stick 40 with flaps but don't feel I'm ready to jump in to that. Should I get a six channel radio now or does it need to be programmable for that stuff?

I know most people would say to join AMA again and find a field but this seems like a great way to spend time with my brother, as it has sparked his interest as well.
All comments and suggestions are welcomed and appreciated.