RCU Forums - View Single Post - Illegal radios?
View Single Post
Old 01-03-2004, 01:51 PM
c/f
My Feedback: (1)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Illegal radios?

This thread is the most bogus piece of information I've ever read @ RCU.

Changing a xmtr to another channel allowed for RC use is allowed and practiced at National level competitions, yes even at the AMA site, onsite. Certain venues such as pylon racing and combat it is routine to have crystals on hand to swap out to solve conflicts.

Some other facts you may find interesting is that JR and others have a complete xmtr module that you can change out (not synthesized as reported) and yes even change to different Bands, ie, I fly my JR 10X in combat using a normal 72mhz range channel #53 module, then I swap out the module to a HAM band 53hz range module for flying jet turbines.

I also have spare crystals for combat on adjacent numbers ie. 51,52, to swap out within the 72mh module when conflicts arise. How far you can go from the original number does have a tuning issue, older sytems for sure.

Proper marking and knowledge of what a xmtr is in fact transmitting on, is a pilots responseability. This is the thing I find scary with this post, as most newbies could fall prey to this when purchasing from swap shops and auctions. Proper changing out of transmitting freq on toadays modern radios could never be traced to the originally shipped freq so I doubt how this could even be legislated to be illegal.

Some thing the FCC does not allow is using crystals from differing brands in differing xmtrs. ie, many are using Hitec xmtr crystals in Futaba radios since they are cheaper and are reported to work better than OEM. but this is not allowed according to the FCC and AMA.

And here is another bit of FYI you might find interesting, IF and WHEN the FCC allows a transmitter to be legally manufactered and sold in commerce, it can NEVER be deemed illegal for use in it's intended original manner.

What this means is that the old non GOLD AMA stickered transmitters are in fact totally legal to use, The only thing "illegal" is the AMA has outlawed their use for insureability. They do not have the power to make them illegal.............