RCU Forums - View Single Post - Illegal radios?
View Single Post
Old 01-03-2004, 07:44 PM
whstlngdeath
My Feedback: (15)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Illegal radios?

Sorry c/f, but you are confused.
Look at the AMA membership manual on page 17, it states:
"any user modification of a transmitter that might affect the transmitted signal is prohibited by law and safety concerns. This includes user replacement of frequency determining plug-in crystals and use of plug-in frequency modules from another manufacturer. Transmitter crystal replacement, with or without a change in frequency, requires transmitter emission realignment by the manufacturer. Use of a frequency determining module manufactured for use in another brand transmitter, can result in off frequency and spurious emissions that cause interference to other flyers."
The changing out of crystals and the changing out of "other brand" modules are two separate things. NO crystal can be changed on a transmitter to a different frequency regardless of brand. Only the modules are addressed as brand-related changes, not the crystals. This is a FCC requirement, not the AMA. We are to conform to FCC regs in complying with the AMA. I seriously doubt that a contest director will allow the changing of crystals like you state you do.
No doubt, you and your cohorts are doing this illegally, behind the CD's back. I suggest a more thorough read of the rules before you get into some hot water at a contest, or worse, cause the crash of yours or someone else's plane.

Jesse