RCU Forums - View Single Post - The 'Perfect' Airplane Hobby Room
View Single Post
Old 01-05-2004, 06:18 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: The 'Perfect' Airplane Hobby Room

There is a thread entitled something like show us your shop. Go look at all the pictures.

I put a few in there of mine. I spent a lot of time designing it. It is a pleasure to build in, has lots of storage, huge work space and now a rolling table in the middle that I kicked myself for bringing home, but it works so well, I went and got another one for my full scale shop. If you can't find the pics, email me and I will send some.

Not saying mine is the best, but it sure works good.

36 inch deep by 8 foot building board on the south wall, 10 foot by 2 foot machine bench on the east wall, 2 foot by 8 foot building board/workbench on the north wall, storage above and below, full scale Long EZ wings on the West wall and the 2X2 roll around in the middle that moves out when I don't need it. Works well.

You want to have it in a place that isn't next to a room you want to keep perfect, or have good dust suction fans. I have a good suction unit now and use it a lot. Never had one before but man are they handy. Also a fan to remove CA oders from the bench is a plus.

Needs a good sterio system, good chair, and the height of the work surface at the height that works best for you. I have mine high so I can stand, and a stool for when I sit. I have mats that slide out from under the bench if I am standing that are soft. My friend likes lower benches so he can sit all the time, but I find that when you build a lot, you are always running from one machine to the other so I like to be up and moble. He doesn't have any machines and builds about one plane a year. We both started building Stik 60s at the same time, I have built 5 planes, his is half done.

good luck, a nice shop is such a pleasure to work in.