RCU Forums - View Single Post - most used freq chart?
View Single Post
Old 01-15-2004, 01:50 PM
Montague

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: most used freq chart?

Going back to frequency useage, there are some really simple reasons why things stack the way they do, why the even numbers in the 40+ range are the most common.

It's not random, it's historical.

Back right after 72Mhz was introduced, we didn't have all 50 channels right off the bat. Instead, there were some old channels that weren't numbered, they were color coded, like brown/white, blue/white, etc. These channels were widely spaced, and, if I recall, some were on even frequencies that are actually between our current channels.

The decision was made to slowly phase in the "new" numbered channels, with the goal being 50 active channels eventually. First, a handful of the even number channels were phased in, but not near the old channels. This resulted in 12 being legal (I had a radio on 12, what an oddball) , but, if I recall, the rest of the lower end was not allowed quite yet. So the other teens and 20's were not made or sold. In the higher end, only even channels were allowed, so you saw a LOT of 44, 46, 48, 50, 52, etc.

Later, the lower even numbered channels were phased in, and later still, the odd number channels were phased in. (1991 was when the transmitters had to be "narrow band", but I don't recall when the odd channels were phased in, I think it was after 1991, though I'm not sure. I left the hobby around '92 and just came back a few years ago. Before I left, I never saw an odd channel number, but I'm not sure if they were actually allowed at that point or not. I know they were not in 1990)

Add to that the tendancy people have to keep with something that works, and you have guys who started flying in the 80s and early 90s who stayed on their favorate channels, and that's going to keep them on the upper end, even numbers. And, of course, the manufacturers are going to notice as people update and upgrade and replace gear, but want to say on "their" channels, so they are going to sell more stuff on those channels.