RCU Forums - View Single Post - Hobby Lobby Skylark e-Conversion
View Single Post
Old 01-24-2004, 12:30 PM
Greg Covey

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Hobby Lobby Skylark e-Conversion

The assembly starts by gluing in the pre-installed aileron hinges. There are 4 hinges per aileron.

I roughed up the nylon and metal pin hinges with sandpaper and then glued them in place using Aileene's Tacky white glue. First, I coat the inside of the slots in the aileron and then the wing. Next, I coat the hinge itself and insert it into the wing. Once all 4 hinges are installed, I attached the aileron and press it on as far as it will go.

The wing halves are then glued together with a rather thick balsa spar that runs between custom openings on each wing half. You need to orient the spar properly as it has a front and top side.

The spar and wing halves fit together perfectly without and sanding! I used 5-minute epoxy to first glue the spar correctly into one wing half, and, after it dried, I glued the two wing halves together making sure that every surface was covered with a coat of epoxy.

I decided to pay close attention to make a perfectly strong wing joint because I would skip the fiberglass reinforcement step that followed. After studying the wing frame and mounting scheme to the fuselage, I decided that I had plenty of strength for my electric conversion.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr51077.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	37.5 KB
ID:	93702