RCU Forums - View Single Post - Too many choices--need advice.
View Single Post
Old 02-11-2004, 03:03 AM
Time Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Too many choices--need advice.

I've built my Great Planes BLT and now need advice on an ESC and whether to consider motor and gearboxes with ball bearings.

The 280 motor would work fine with a 10A esc, but I'm wondering if I should buy a more robust one that I can use for other planes. A Castle Creations 35A esc weighs about 12 grams more than the 10A one I'd likely buy and I'm wondering if that extra 12 grams will make a big difference. My next electric would likely be a Mini Telemaster with a 400 motor/gearbox or a Wattage Mini Blue Max (370).

I'd buy them all, if funds permitted. I don't want to weigh down the BLT, but I don't want to spend money on two speed controls if I don't have to.

I'm also wondering if going for the ball bearing versions of the motors and gearboxes will make that much difference on the BLT. Any ideas?

And today I get my super saver coupons from tower and see that I can get the whole Electifly system I need (10A esc 280 bushed motor and 4.1:1 bushed gearbox) for even less, but I am not sure I want.

As for the weight of other onboard components, I will likely go for the Berg Stamp 4 & 2 - .3oz servos. Batteries? Likely Nimh to start...but let's not go there now....

Send help, or money! [8D]