RCU Forums - View Single Post - Christen Eagle - Building, Alterations and Modifications
Old 02-22-2004, 11:07 AM
hilleyja
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Christen Eagle - Building, Alterations and Modifications

My Saturday progress was mostly installing the engine and working with the cowl ring. I didn't get as much done as expected because I also had to install a dishwasher in my kitchen. As expected, it wasn't too challenging. It wasn't a picnic either. The 2 access holes in the engine box are not even big enough to manipulate the blind nuts. I had to enlarge them. I've got virtually every cap screw a modeler would need, except the 1/4x20x1 for the engine mount. A visit to Ace Hardware resulted in hex bolts because they didn't have the cap screw. I'll live with them for now.

Since I am installing the Fuji BT-50SA with the spring starter assembly, I had to enlarge the center hole and drill another hole of top to recess the cap screw that hold the spring starter assembly to the engine. I found out the hard way that the Rotozip cutter doesn't do a very good job in 1/2" plywood. I ended up using the Dremel.

So far I have at least a couple of hours working with the cowl ring. This is frustrating because, frankly, it doesn't even come close to fitting properly. I measured the distance between the engine box and the prop washer -- exactly 6.5". The cowl still needs to be positioned further back to clear the spinner ribbets. The graphics between the cowl and fuselage is also way off. I am being patient and have sanded the edge of the cowl ring several times -- I want to be sure I don't miss-shapen it to the point it won't match up with the cowl for glueing. Each time I get a little closer -- I'll continue that effort today.

I'm surprised that Zinger 20x10 prop actually looks small on that bird.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw67802.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	85.4 KB
ID:	103723   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig11152.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	64.6 KB
ID:	103724   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh16516.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	103.6 KB