RCU Forums - View Single Post - 3DX, wanting to go brushless out runner
Old 03-04-2004, 06:39 PM
ChuckAuger
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 3DX, wanting to go brushless out runner

ORIGINAL: FNG

Thanks for your help guys. After flying someone elses airplane with a PJS out runner, I didn't like the slow throttle responce, not sure it that was a set up issue or normal for a out runner. Should I be looking more toward geared setup for 3D flying?
I have only actually flown an Axi outrunner. I had a PJS 550E but sold it so I could keep my mounts semi-standardized. Anyway, it had to be an issue with either the motor or the set up. The little Axi has no hesitation, in fact it has really good throttle response. However, without the gearbox in the equation, you can get painted into a corner in your prop selection. On a motor/gearbox combo you can move up and down quite a bit in prop size without being too hard on your motor/batteries. On an outrunner, you have a pretty narrow range of props you have to stick with...especially if trying to go bigger.

That's just my take on the issue. I have geared set ups for quite a while, just getting set up in the outrunners, so I'm not an outrunner expert by any means. I can say I was pretty dang impressed with the power the little Axi has considering it has no gear box. Getting my set up fine tuned is the next order of business.