RCU Forums - View Single Post - crop duster r/c
View Single Post
Old 03-21-2004, 07:16 PM
vonJaerschky
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: crop duster r/c

There is a guy in New Zealand that has quite a collection of Ag-Aircraft plans, including the not often seen in North America Fletcher and Cresco. The gentleman's name is Warren Russell. Address is 34 Ward Parade, Stirling Point, Bluff, New Zealand. I don't have an e-mail address. $5.00US will get you a catalogue with heaps of aircraft in various scales. Mr. Russell helped me get in touch with a New Zealand club before I moved down there several years ago. I bought a set of FU-24 Fletcher plans from him when I was there, and they are very, very nice plans. I can vouch for his honesty and service. I don't think you will be dissapointed. By the way, Warren says that the best simulated fertilizer is coal ash. (Many houses in New Zealand still have small coal burning stoves for heat). According to him, it flows beautifully and hangs in the air, just like real fertilizer. I'm not sure what most crop duster do in the USA, but I'm guessing it is to spray chemicals for bugs? New Zealand is a very hilly and mountainous country with lots of sheep. Sheep eat a lot of grass. The grass needs to be fertilized so that there is abundant food for the sheep, and the best way to get into all the nooks and crannies is by air. I worked in the control tower of a provincial airport, and got to know some of the crop duster pilots quite well. I got to go for a few "Missions", and holy smokes, what an experience! These guys are some of the best and ballsiest pilots in the world. Unsung heroes, if you ask me. The photo is of a Fletcher being loaded up with another load of super phospahate. Turn around time is a matter of seconds! I have rambled enough, good luck!