RCU Forums - View Single Post - HERE COMES THE FUTURE IN RC RADIOS
View Single Post
Old 04-02-2004, 11:21 PM
Bob_Wilcox
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: HERE COMES THE FUTURE IN RC RADIOS

A few people have seen Matt and I fly that old looking Kraft radio at the Sepulveda Basin. Then you notice the antenna(s) in the plane and transmitter look different. That was our MK1 system on 2.4 Ghz after many trials, a successful unit. So far we never crashed one yet. Maybe I should not say that

The 2.4 Ghz has quite a few antennas and a unique switching system that always selects the best receiving antenna. Also the antennas are fairly low gain with the best radiating pattern possible. If you think you can fly with one antenna on your helicopter and one on the transmitter, don't fly it near me!!! Our system has 24dbm of power with a 4 dBi of antenna gain keeping us well under the 3.98 EIRP rating for the FCC point to multipoint rules. We can send (many times) 16 -10 bit channels; get back a packet from the plane, select the best antenna and hop (FHSS) to the next channel in less than 18ms. That is every bit as good as any 9 ch PCM on 72 Mhz.

I could be wrong, but I think this is the first successful system that has made many flights without loss of control. I say that because I have heard of several systems but they all show one antenna. I don't believe it when I see one antenna. I can turn my computer that I am typing on 90 degrees and lose my WiFi connection, no matter how much redundant data is sent. This WiFi connection also has the advantage of lots of stuff around the house creating multi-path that actually helps get the signal to the computer.

MKII is here.
This is our 900 Mhz test system. It is essentially the same as our 2.4 Ghz system but has over 27dBi of output. 900 Mhz also will transmit much further, 2.4 times less absorption than 2.4 Ghz. I included some pics! Kinda looks like a Proline in Royal Systems blue.

I guess the highlight for Matt and I was at the AMA Executive Council meeting when Dr. Sandy Franks stood up and told Dave Brown he got a look at the future when he was visiting Sepulveda Basin watching us fly this unit. When we made a presentation at the AMA Frequency Committee, funny how Airtronics, JR and Futaba shows up for the first time in years. Not sure what Matt and I are going to do with these systems. Maybe someone with lots of money will want to invest.

Ya! Ya! I fly helicopters mode1,

BTW, I talked to Paul Beard and he told me he was targeting surface vehicles with his WiFli system. Smart guy, probably 100 times the market and less liability then planes.