RCU Forums - View Single Post - C160 transall build
View Single Post
Old 04-07-2004, 03:29 PM
rryman
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: C160 transall build

What size props are you running on your .25LA's?
=======Pretty sure I'm running 9 x 5 Master Airscrews, two blade. Three blades just wouldn't cut it.
What size are the fuel tanks?
======= I believe thye are 6oz tanks. They come with the kit, and I used what they sent.
How long are your flights?
=======I do not fly that long at a time, maybe 10 minutes or so, but I've always had plenty of fuel left. You can't fly it wide open if you want scale looking flight. I usually fly a little above half throttle.

Does the elevator use a single servo or two?
I am using one servo for the elevators, which are indeed split. Each half has a control rod which is joined inside the fuse to a dowel. Wasn't crazy about that arrangement, but it did work out nice.

I have read that trying to get the engines into sync is a waste of time as the rpms constantly change with the load on the prop, yet others swear by it. What the best way to go? I think that the transition and reliability is more important than top end rpm's!! Is this right?
=========I've always heard that the rule of thumb is if you get them within 500rpm of each other you're good to go. I Run up each engine separately, then tune (richen) the strongest engine to the weakest one. I've had no problems, and you are correct, it's been nearly impossible to keep them together at all rpm settings. After the first flight and I see what throttle setting I want to fly at most of the time, that's where I shoot to get them humming, and sometimes do this by ear as well as using a tach. Course, everyone has their own opinion. Now when it comes to 4 engines, you can't hardly listen to them and tell which one is lagging. On my C-130, I tuned each engine individually, (per another member on this group),tested for vertical performance by holding the engine vertical, then shut it down and started the next one, etc. etc. When I was satisfied with all 4, I went flying. Working out great so far. I'm like you, I am after avoiding an in flight failure.
I had a problem last year with my transall when one engine kept increasing rpm over the other one in flight, but couldn't really notice any difference until I was landing, and the plane kept wanting to go left, just like you had left rudder trim in. I blamed it on the wind the first landing, but soon found out the engine back plate screws were coming out.
I'll get a pic of mine and post. If you need any other pics on the inside, I'll send them direct.
Randy

Has anyone got any pics of a c160 to post? Maybe some of the radio setup, and engine nacelles.