RCU Forums - View Single Post - Can EPP foam be covered with heat-shrink covering?
Old 04-23-2004, 07:52 AM
mnewman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Can EPP foam be covered with heat-shrink covering?

Hobby Lobby sells Solite which is a great, low temperature, covering I've had excellent results with. The best advice is test on scrap first and keep the iron under 175. I use Solite on Fanfold from Lowes and also carved EPP (the thicker blue foam insulation panels). The difficulty is over complex curves where the temptation to use a heat gun to tighten the covering leads to bubbles and burns. One method I've had some success with (but try it first on scrap) is to set the oven to bake at 150-175 and after the covering is completely on the plane - hold it in the oven for a few seconds to tighten everything up. Dont leave it in there and dont set it down in there. Use an oven mit and hold the part only for a few seconds at a time. The heat is even and everywhere at the same time so it doesnt end up pulling in one direction or over tightening one spot and it doesn't get a chance to penetrate the part and really only effects the surface so it workes quite well.