RCU Forums - View Single Post - ThunderTiger Rare Bear
View Single Post
Old 05-04-2004, 08:37 AM
MANFRED
My Feedback: (27)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: ThunderTiger Rare Bear

I agree with you that Magnum engines do run, and a few actually run well, I know I've owned and do currently own and operate Magnums. But come on quit deluding yourself, the magnums have at least 20 to 25% less power than either OS or Saitos of the same CC. To compare OS with magnums is just not fair, sure they run and will tow your crate around and maybe continue to run during the duration of the flight, just as a moped will get you to your destination as well, would you want to get caught dead riding on one? All around OS takes the ring, less power than YS but a lot easier to operate in the long run, a bit more power than Saito and a hell of alot easier to break in and start, not as cheap as Magnums but alot more reliable and powerful. Sure they save a little money, but please don't convince newbies to four stroke power that Magnums are the way to go, once they've spent days trying to find airleaks, loose tappets, and the all too famous separating muffler on the 120 which falls off in flight and can never be found, then the $50 to $100 difference in price may seem like a small price to pay for reliability and peace of mind.
ORIGINAL: LDM

i was not going to get involved because I personally dont like the Plane but just a fact , Magnum engines are desinged and enginered by a key enginer that was with OS . So the quality and thought process is the same or better , I have personally purchased the OS based on every OS snob telling me that it was the only engine in existence . Then when visiting Southen Cal i stopped in a Hobby Shack now hobby People and talked to an old timer RC pilot .He gave me the facts and I tried one and have never gone back . For the record I can afford much better the Os so its not a cost issues , its a feature and benifits issue VS marketing and advertising issues . I was fooled the same way with Robart gear , went with the GURUs suggestions on Robart , now for 120 size planes and under I only but century . Ya I know there are a ton of post on both companies, again just put them side by side compare the cost and do a benifits/features analysis and see the one that wins .