RCU Forums - View Single Post - Free Long EZ RC Plane !
View Single Post
Old 07-07-2002, 02:01 PM
bash-ace-RCU
My Feedback: (16)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Long EZ

I started to build one from a kit (I don't remember the manufacturer, but they ran ads in RCM for a while for that kit, it was .40 size) I picked up about 7 years ago, it was not a kit for the beginner, the foam core wing was built from numerous smaller cores, and a fair degree of precision had to be used while assembling it. I was very eager to get it done, but the kit die-cutting was horrendous, and the instruction book could have almost been written for a different airplane, so I passed it on to someone else in a trade (I don't think it was ever finished). Now, recently, after moving to a new area, I started flying with a guy who actually persevered through the torture of building one of those kits. The plane was very scale looking, especially with the nose wheel retracted when it's sitting on the ground. I would have held on to my previous kit if I would have known that it would have turned out so beautiful (it's like the ugly duckling story). The plane flies well, tracks like an arrow and landings are very stable, I can see where the CG is very critical on this plane, it could make the difference between a good or a very bad experience. On a side note, flying the Long EZ is harsh on the eyes, it has an unfamiliar silhouette, and it gets challenging to track if you don't pay close attention to it. I would definitely buy and build another kit if it was updated with current kit practices, I can deal with a barbaric instruction manual, just don't like getting the band-saw out to take care of die cut parts.