RCU Forums - View Single Post - I've got a problem here . . .
View Single Post
Old 06-23-2004, 12:13 PM
enyaengine

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: I've got a problem here . . .

The fibreglass has set rock hard now - solid as a rock. BTW, prior to putting the actual fibreglass on I throughly filled the splits with the resin to ensure that they are well sealed up. The strip of fibreglass down the keel on the outside has nicely sealed the hull up now anyway. I've also put fibreglass along the inside all the way to the back now to prevent the same thing happening elsewhere. Now just have to wait for the paint to dry, the transmitter batteries to charge and then I'm away with a test run. I'm also going to make the engine a lot richer ( richened it up loads last time as well!) so hopefully it'll run smoothly at WOT.
I've also worked out what was happening with the keel. The keel is made from a long square cross-section of plywood. The glue between the sheets of wood in this had obviously deteriorated over time (the hull is 17 years old - never even used until I got my hands on it!), creating a weakness that wasn't apparant until the boat was in the water.
BTW, I reckon that at 2/3 throttle it was doing around 12-15 knots (guesstimate) on calm water! Not bad for a home made effort I reckon. With WOT singing merrily, I should get up to about 18 knots, perhaps higher when the engine is fully run in and tuned.