RCU Forums - View Single Post - Modeling Software
View Single Post
Old 06-28-2004, 08:44 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Default RE: Modeling Software

TurboCAD ver 9 Standard
Cost ~ Standard $150.... Pro $350 but past comes up on sale often and are very usable. Version 7 and 8 can be had for as little as $40 to 50. Get only Standard or Pro and NOT Designer. Designer is a stripped down version.

3D support seems quite good for Ver 9 Standard and very good for 9Pro. Past versions were a strugge but I do 2D anyway and if most folks just want to do magazine style plans then 2D is all you need.

Fairly easy learning curve for a full featured CAD. Customizable toolbars present the tools YOU want at your fingertips. Wide variety of snaps with only a single key click at any time (this is a VERY good thing). Some AutoCAD users have commented that TurboCAD is easier and just as good as AutoCAD and they prefer it. And at about 1/40th the price.

I've got probably 100 to 150 drawings of various complexities under my belt now from simple sketches to full blown plans and I can easily say that the only time I now reach for paper and pencil is if the computer is not available or if I'm just doodling. For everything else it's TurboCAD even for a simple arrangement to check some geometries or dimensions. Honestly, it's faster than pencil and ruler with some practice and with some setup. Those of you that have seen my sketches posted with my replies have seen Turbocad in quick action.

Pros- price, relative ease of setup and use, good help with package, lots of community support, tile prints on regular paper, wide file type import support and generous output file support.

Cons- Frankly I can't think of any other than some DWG incompatibilities with some AutoCAD drawings in specific cases. I too have run into this but found it rare. I've seen other CAD's that made some steps easier but I always had a two or three step workaround for those. The learning curve is steep but in the end you can do simple drawings far faster with this program than you can with a pencil, ruler and paper if accuracy counts.