RCU Forums - View Single Post - Cloud Bound 4
View Single Post
Old 08-16-2004, 03:29 PM
Rick K
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Cloud Bound 4

Hi guys, I guess what I was trying to stress is back in the 'old days' when these kits were designed they did everything possible to keep the weight down to minimize the sink rate and maximize the 'float' factor. That meant they used the minimal structure and materials that would still do the job.

Iv'e seen many a wing fail on launch or tail break on landing because the plane exceeded the design weight, overstressing the structure. These planes at the time were state of the art, all out competition craft then flown by expert pilots not 'Sunday flyers' flown by casual pilots. Thats why with Ray's Skybench aerotech versions of these classics he's made so many Mods. to improve durability. I think he knows his stuff in that dept. and wouldn't recommend doing more there, he's done it for you.

The problem with over weight tails is more than just having to add so much extra nose weight to balance, but how much additional stress that extra weight puts on the ever problematic wrist section of the fuse just foward of the tail. Small cross-section with huge torsional load. Every plane that I ever had a structural failure with the failure was there even with a moderately rough landing, not a cartwheeling, ground loop type of crash landing. Well take it for what it's worth.
Rick K
LSF 6493