RCU Forums - View Single Post - F3A Formosa ARF Park Flyer GWS
View Single Post
Old 09-03-2004, 06:15 PM
Trogdor the Burninator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: F3A Formosa ARF Park Flyer GWS

Hmmm, well without going brushless which is awesome! (Just flew my repaired Formosa today and its just great!) I think the biggest problem you have is the batteries. I started with Lipoly so when I finally tried nimhs (an 8 cell KAN1050 pack at about 6 ish ounces) I couldn't believe what a pig that Fomosa became, even on my newer brushless formosa... With a 2 cell lipo that can take a 9 amp current draw comfortably, the plane flies nicely otherwise stock, not too much vertical but some and loops etc easy.. with the heavy round cells its just too heavy. I really like the gws 9070 prop with the 350 and B gearbox.. best bang for the buck I think... umm, that charger is probably fine for any 2 cell you just have to figure out what the charge rate is, probably pretty low so itll take a long time to charge, but itll work...you may have to solder up some connectors for your battery packs tho.

You can also try like a KAN650 round cell, which is smaller and lighter, to maybe offset the weight problem a bit but since you started lipo, get one in the 1200-1500 or so mah range with a 10C discharge rate or greater. You'll be pleasantly surprised and when you think there's nothing more you can do with your 45 dollar Formosa, invest ina brushless and be wowed yet again!

ummm, I haven't really tried 3 blade props but I've read that they are generally less efficient. However, I do recall at least one mention of someone having good luck on an electric with a 3-blade prop. Experiment and let us know!