RCU Forums - View Single Post - ABS,PVC,Electrical tape,tire rings are for cheaters
Old 09-09-2004, 02:13 PM
creyc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: ABS,PVC,Electrical tape,tire rings are for cheaters

Without using PVC, ABS or tape the way to get a car to drift is to reduce the amount of traction in the back and keep traction at the front. Usually the easiest way to do this is adjust the camber of the rear wheels, tilt the wheel a bit so when sliding the car is running on the edge of the tire pretty much. The less surface area of the tire on the road, the smaller the contact patch and therefore the less traction you'll have, making drifting easier to accomplish. Of course the condition of the road plays an important factor in this, a very rough and pitted surface will not let the car slide out. You need a smoothly paved surface to get predictable drifts, hitting a bump while sideways can easily make you either spin out or rotate back the opposite way and end the drift. You want traction up front because you don't want the car to completely spin out, the front needs to track through the turn while the back moves out. So while the suspension needs to be set very stiff in the rear you want a more supple ride up front.

I understand where one-sky is coming from on this topic, and i can tell he is quite knowledgeable on this topic. I can see why one can be as angry as this, dealing with all the beginner "hotshots" or so called band wagoners, but there are better ways to voice your opinion. (and definitely without sounding as immature) I'd also like to see you go into some of these things for all the beginners out there, myself included as you said you wanted to teach us all a thing or two. Besides, you keep stating how wrong people can be for comparing RC drifting to full scale drifting or need for speed or other games. It would be helpful if you could maybe get us off onto the right path towards understanding this.