RCU Forums - View Single Post - Giant Scalers Vote! What brand servos do you fly your giant scale planes with?
Old 10-28-2004, 06:13 PM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Giant Scalers Vote! What brand servos do you fly your giant scale planes with?

ORIGINAL: RCadmin

Correct. If this poll is shaping up to be statistically significant one could expect that the reports of absolute failures of a hitec servo be 2x that of JR assuming identical failure rate percentages for a servo.

In other words if for example 1000 servos were sold and the failure rate for BOTH brands was 1% then 10 servos would be defective out of that 1000. In the world we would see 1000 servos sold by JR and 10 defective and Hitec would have 2000 servos sold with 20 defective. You would hear reports of 20 defective servos with Hitec versus 10 for JR although the failure rate per 1000 servos was identical. All the numbers are of course 100% hypothetical to explain the concept to those unfamiliar with statistics.

Some select individuals have alluded that the rate of failure is higher on Hitec's which I don't believe is accurate to judge based on the data set those users have. If Hitec is outselling the nearest competitor 2 to 1 then it could be reasonably argued that one might expect to hear 2x the reports of "absolute" failure. Again this addresses failure rates and not whether any particular brand does or does not ever fail.

I've read plenty of threads about Hitec failures. Can't say I've EVER read about a JR servo failing. Maybe I don't read enough, but it seams to me that while Hitec may be outselling JR 2 too 1-- you read a lot more complaints about Hitec failures than JR. More than twice as many failures in Hitecs-- if you read around here on the forums.

So- Hitec outsells JR 2:1, but they fail more than twice as often. I'd be more inclined to believe that of 1000 servos sold by each manuf. that maybe 10 JR would fail and more like 25-30 Hitec would fail. Same thing if you multiply the numbers. 3000 servos sold would yield 30 failed JRs and 75-90 failed Hitecs.

I got no scientific evidence to back it up. Just know that I've personally experienced Hitec failures and switched back to JR. I've probably read 200 threads on RCU about failed Hitecs. Can honestly say I've never heard of a failed JR servo.

Guess which ones I use?

Personally, I've lost 2 planes to Hitecs. Total loss of about $2500. Never lost a plane since I switched BACK to JRs.