RCU Forums - View Single Post - "Free" DVD from the AMA
View Single Post
Old 11-23-2004, 10:36 PM
daniel_cox

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "Free" DVD from the AMA

I had a package waiting for me from the AMA when I got home tonight. I opened it thinking it was my membership renewal. I found a DVD and a nice P-51 coin. I thought this was pretty cool thing to go with my annual membership. Much to my surprise, it was an unsolicited subscription to the Ultimate Model Aeronautics Video Library. The accompanying letter says that I can send it back using the "convenient" return mail label (after I package it and drop it off at the post office), send in $9 for this one, or just keep it as a "free gift" if I "don't want to participate". Well, nine bucks doesn't seem like all that much, so I guess I can just pay for it (even though I didn't order it). But wait, there's more! If I pay for it, there will be another one coming my way which of course I can decline if I want. Gosh, isn't this great! I am forced to join the only available organization so I can fly my airplanes at a sanctioned AMA RC club. And now, they send me stuff I didn't order and then want money for it. If it was any other organization, I would quit entirely and tell them to never bother me again. But I don't have that choice, do I?

I really wouldn't mind all that much if they had sent an advertisement for this DVD club with a return card (like every other RC magazine). Or a free copy without the implied due payment. I haven't watched it yet, but I probably will. I don't know what I will do next. I certainly don't want to get these DVDs without ordering them. I hate to have to send stuff back that I didn't order. I hate to feel like a cheapskate over nine bucks. Is it just me, or is this just wrong?

Rant off,
Daniel Cox
AMA 71786 (yes, I have been around for a while)