RCU Forums - View Single Post - F-27 Stryker: Yet another review
View Single Post
Old 12-18-2004, 07:12 PM
jonwhatley

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default F-27 Stryker: Yet another review

This is my first ever post on RC Universe but I had to chime in on Parkzones F-27 Stryker. I think it's an absolutely amazing bird. I started on the Aerobird Xtreme and broke many a wing, tail, and even fusaloges learning how to fly. It was an expensive learning curve but I'm still glad I started w/ the Xtreme. Since picking up the Stryker, I've flown nothing else for months. It's both harder yet easier than the Xtreme in alot of ways. When you get the Xtreme way up in the air, you can almost let go of the stick for seconds at a time if the thing is properly trimmed. But it sometimes flys weird and doesn't go where you tell it to go. The Stryker goes exactly where you tell it to go and will go there quickly. You have to be flying it the whole time.

I did a couple of re-enforcements: Packing tape around the engine mount, black tape around the nose area conecting it to the rest of the body and last (and I think most importantly) I got some thin metal tubing material and glued strips on the bottom of the fins. I did this so that I could land on concrete parking lots w/out tearing up the bottom of the tail fins. I highly recommend the slight little mod if you want to fly in areas where a parking lot is the only place to land. It has worked very well.

Like others of you, I had some real confusion over the eight cell batteries until I realized that the stock charger just won't juice those bad boys up. I picked up a super brain 959 on ebay and haven't had a problem since. I can get 10 to 15 minute flights out of the 7 or 8 cell battery if I don't run full throttle the whole time.

I haven't used the combat module yet but I think I'm going to buy my 16 year old boy a Stryker and dogfight him. On the subject of Xport modules; When is parkzone going to get wise and release a digital camera module? It wouldn't have to be real high mega pixels and the trigger would lend itself very well to tripping a shutter. I'd happily pay up to 75 bucks for a module like that.

I think at some point I'm going to put together another stryker on my own w/ bought parts and pieces. I'd like to perhaps moni-coat the body some way and give it a really cool custom paint job.

Lastly, can any of you recommend a plane that would be a good step up after mastering the Stryker? (Listen to me..."Mastering", you watch, I'll smash mine to pieces after that comment) Anyhoo, I really like the style of the corsair and I've seen one that is sold like the stryker, ready to fly. Have any of you flown the corsair? How would you compair it to the handling of the stryker?

Thanks for letting me go on and on!