RCU Forums - View Single Post - Hostetler 33% Decathlon
View Single Post
Old 12-24-2002, 07:10 PM
Newflee

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Hostetler 33% Decathlon

Steve,
I have used nylon fabric (dacron) that I use in my factory in combination with latex paint. It works just fine but I'll have so much cash in this bird when it's done that a few extra bucks on covering is ok. I really like Super coverite for giant birds because it has a good scale weave. It also shrinks like crazy for guys who build better than they cover. You do have to be careful though, it is strong and shrinky enough to warp your structure.
The jury is still out on what I will use but again I need the practice with the stitts so that will be a good choice for me. Bye the way, is there some inside joke that I'm missing regarding S*****?

Unfortunately winter in Winnipeg is not really conducive to open windows so dope and paints can mean only one thing- good times man. My dogs and I are still buzzed from the Featherfill I sprayed on the cowl plug last night. :stupid:
Steve the plans and manual for the Supercub are ok if your a modeler. The A/C is really just a full scale replica built using all the same skills and materials we use to build our giant scalers (except balsa of course). Using wood in a full scale people pusher is scary to some people, but my experience with models makes me confident in the A/C's integrity, and building it requires no special equipment, just a bigger shop.
I bought my plans and manual in 96', before the computer explosion so Fred did most of the drawings and such by hand and typewriter. They are a little amateurish in appearance but easy to follow. His new manuals are updated and much better looking. As for the plans they are full size items - pretty neat to unroll them and read.
I would estimate that the Supercub will take about 3 times the hours to build than this Super Decathlon.
I assume that you have been to their web site. If you haven't done so already you should join the LMA group on Yahoo groups. We discuss things as they come up, just like here. There is a link on the LMA website.
I don't really want to get too off topic on this thread, but if you email me at [email protected], we can discuss in more depth.

Happy holidays all.

Lee

Here's a pic of the fuse bones. (pic from LMA website)
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	42847_16194.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	34.5 KB
ID:	15215