RCU Forums - View Single Post - Composite ARF 2m x 2m Extra build
View Single Post
Old 01-14-2005, 04:00 PM
Doug Cronkhite
My Feedback: (34)

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Composite ARF 2m x 2m Extra build

ORIGINAL: Paul Eagon

Hey Doug, for us who are electric ignorant but leaning in this direction, could you please give us a general ideal of the cost of each componant required for your conversion.

I was also amazed that the hacker could produce that much noise on the ground. How about just a short pros & cons for geared units versus outrunners.

I have a 2x2 coming and am intriqued with your thread.

Thanks
Paul Eagon
Sure Paul.. Be sure to sit down first though..

Motor - $429
Controller - $419
Battery - $650 roughly.. and you'll need at least 2 for any kind of normal flying.

As for geared vs outrunner.. it's kind of getting to be a pick your preference sort of thing. I haven't seen an outrunner yet that will perform with the geared Hackers but I'm sure it's only a matter of time. The hacker setup is easier to mount in a small nosed airframe. The outrunners are fairly large in diameter and there's a lot of rotating mass to deal with. Geared systems are very quiet in the air but DO have a bit more noise on the ground. The outrunners are just plain dead quiet for the most part. Often they're lighter too.

I'll be back to work on the Extra this weekend. Just have some real life things in the queue at the moment.