RCU Forums - View Single Post - Building and flying the LST 1/2A Trainer
Old 01-17-2005, 07:42 AM
serendpt

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: 1/2A trainer anyone?

I agree with Bruce, this plan is worth being a sticky. I feel it could be a great model for first time builders and flyers. What I'd really love to see is this thread become a construction article for the plan. As such, I think it would be great if we could start off with a bill of materials for the plane. While some woods are clearly marked, some aren't (or my eyesight is so bad I can't see the markings.) I'd appreciate a little help in this area as I've never built from plans before and I believe that the first step would be to understand the plan completely before cutting wood.

Going with the bill of materials step, I'd like to start with the wing.

RIBS - What would the ribs be made from? 1/16" medium balsa?
SPARS - I see the spars are from 3/16" square sticks, but what sort of wood? Would balsa be adequate, or would they need to be made from firmer wood such as basswood?
LEADING EDGE - 1/4" square balsa sticks
TRAILING EDGE - 1/4" square balsa sticks
AILERONS - 1/16" x 1/2" balsa strip
SHEETING - 1/16" balsa sheet
SHEER WEBS - I read mention of these earlier on in the thread. What would they be made from? 1/16" balsa sheet?
WINGTIPS - I see no mention of how these are constructed nor what material to construct them from. A more detailed explanation of how the ends of the wings are to be constructed would be a great help here.

Well, thats it for now, I personally can't wait to get started on this build. I'm going to be realistic about it though and anticipate a slow build as I learn to interpret the plans and cut the parts as accurately as possible. Hope you guys can help me out and point me in the right direction.