RCU Forums - View Single Post - Airplane design
Thread: Airplane design
View Single Post
Old 12-28-2001, 06:40 PM
majortom-RCU
My Feedback: (40)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default model design

Steveo, after you have done your reading, you might consider a simulator program (if you don't have one). I've been using Realflight Gen 1 & 2. This stuff is not cheap, especially if you have to upgrade your computer equipment to get good 3D video, but it can't be beat for what it saves in time traveling to the field, setting up, buying fuel and all that. In the Edit Aircraft menu you can vary just about any design feature including dihedral angle, incidences, control throws, thrust offsets, change engines, change props, move cg back and forth, etc. to your heart's content, then fly the model with a very realistic simulation of the effect your changes have. To get the most out of the experience, you need to fly a sequentially ordered trim procedure such as on the NSRCA or Sullivan websites. If you get the various add-on cd's, you can find a model that approximates almost anything you might have in mind for a scratch design, and learn enough to save you countless hours, and probably months of building and testing. Here in snow country, a simulator and a building project keep me busy and learning when flying is not an option.