RCU Forums - View Single Post - OFFICIAL NITRO DRIFTING THREAD
View Single Post
Old 01-20-2005, 03:13 AM
WhiskyVR-4

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: OFFICIAL NITRO DRIFTING THREAD

How do I know all this? The very short version is: I get paid to know this stuff.

I've been involved in professional motorsports in one form or another for a number of years. I've done design, development, fabrication, testing, and application of aftermarket/racing parts, as well as complete race cars. The vehicles I've been involved with range from an 1100+ hp Porsche to the Kia/Hyundai Factory Baja truck and just about everything in between. As far as drifting goes, I've worked on 16-valve and 20-valve AE86 Corollas, and two professionally competitive nissans, not including the two nissans I have in my garage that I compete in.

My driving experience ranges from karting to road racing (mostly with NASA, although I'm looking closely at ProRally now that SCCA dropped it) to competitive drifting.

With regard to r/c, I'm just a backyard guy. Its been 12 years since my last real race, and I don't have any plans to race again. I just screw around with them in my free time.

If you want to learn more, I would suggest a book called "How to make your car handle" by Fred Puhn. Its easy to get on amazon, but its full of excellent information. I also suggest you learn to wrench on 1:1 cars. Get yourself a car and go to a local NASA HPDE event, you'll learn more about performance driving and handling than you ever thought possible. If you get to the point that you are obsessed with the physics of vehicle dynamics, I would suggest a degree in mechanical engineering, but that takes a bit more work