RCU Forums - View Single Post - Extreme Flight 87" Yak 54 - Build & Fly
Old 01-21-2005, 12:43 PM
jrjohn
My Feedback: (24)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Extreme Flight 87" Yak 54 - Build & Fly

There are a couple of threads that discuss the DA 50 problems, search and you can find them. Or call DA and ask them dirrectly what they have done to address this issue. If you do call, I'd like to know what they say as I'm considering buying one if my Taurus doesn't work out.

I was watching my Buddy fly his about 3 months ago on his WH edge 540. His broke a piston. The pieces got all jamed up and locked up the engine. He was on his third gallon of gas and the engine was running perfect right up to the end.

I don't worry about DA fixing the problem, I hear they are great people to deal with. What concerns me is my style of flying and what happens if the engine quits. (I like flying down on the deck) My friend was hovering 3 feet off 10 seconds before the engine self distructed, had it happened 10 seconds earlier it would likely cost him is plane or in any event a lot of damage. If your flying high enough, engine failure should not be an issue, it's just another dead stick landing like we all had when we flew glow engines.

John