View Single Post
Old 01-31-2005, 05:53 PM
rcguy!
My Feedback: (69)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Reaction 54 Jet Kit

ORIGINAL: ezflyr

Hi Dave,

Sorry, this is a little bit OT, but since you're idle waiting for your turbine to show up (), here goes:

I really like your R54 covering job/color scheme! Can you tell me the order that you covered it, and the colors you used? Did you start with an overall covering job, and then trim it out, or how did you get the multi-color effect (particularily the wings)? Can you provide some details?

Thanks!

John
John,
Not off topic at all. The covering is Monokote all the way. All pieces are seperate with no or little overlap. The gold trim tape takes care of the seams. The wings are fully sheeted in anticipation of the color scheme. I cover in the usual order...bottom first and work forward. All seams face down, out, or aft. 1 25 foot roll of White, 2 6 foot rolls of Missile Red, and 1 6 foot roll of Royal Blue. The "canopy" is aluminum. 2 rolls of 1/4" Gold Carl Goldberg tape on the seams. Turned out pretty well for a flying machine...NOT a Toledo finish though. I made card stock templates of the sunbursts both for the white and blue. The sunburst is on the top only for visual orientation in flight. The stab and fin are identical top and bottom. The red leading edge stops short of the tip to allow the white to show. Makes a great visual reference when dropping below the tree line on final...sorta like solar powered landing/tip lights! A tip I used when I flew Pattern competition in the late 70's early 80's. The covering added @ 11ozs to the bare airframe.
Military jet colors were never considered as being way too drab. 53 year old eyes don't need THAT handicap! I'm not blind mind you...It's just that I'm flying a model that's worth more than the car I drive at the moment!

Hope this helped!

Dave Rigotti