RCU Forums - View Single Post - MY TT 46 died on me i need a new engine for speed
Old 02-19-2005, 12:07 AM
Harry Lagman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: MY TT 46 died on me i need a new engine for speed

Hey Krosypal, glad to hear you're lovin' your GMSs!

I don't own a GMS, TT or an OS FX/AX but I've worked with and set up several examples of each for other guys (mainly students on buddybox). The first couple of GMSs really impressed me - one guy's .40 pulled 14,700 with an MA 10x6 and was totally dependable. As I sampled more engines, I saw some inconsistency, especially with the .47s.

If you're putting a newbie up, there's a lot of responsibility on you the instructor to set the guy's engine up so it doesn't sag on take-off or otherwise misbehave. Part of our circuit is over the sea, so reliable engine performance is critical. What I don't like about the GMSs is their inconsistent fuel pick-up capability. Some are really good but others are a little variable. Some can be set up with a good needle and then mysteriously lean out and dead-stick on flight number four after three perfect flights. Another thing they're prone to is stripping the muffler bolt threads. The three or four each of the TT and OSs I've set up have held their tune and perform consistently.

I can't vouch for GMS long term durability - so far they're lasting as well as anything else out there but there are not yet any real high mileage examples.