RCU Forums - View Single Post - Great Planes 1/3 Scale Pitts Special
View Single Post
Old 07-17-2003, 09:33 PM
rfw1953
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Great Planes 1/3 Scale Pitts Special

ThaFlyer,

I would be interested to hear how yours acted in a spin and how you recovered. As for mine, well, I'm a bit embarrassed to answer that one. :stupid:

We had our annual Big Bird event with radio in-pound. I checked my radio in and then got my airplane set up. I then checked out the radio, but didn't get the channel pin. Fortunately no one was flying on the channel at the time I turned on my radio, did a range check, started her up and took off. I had a great take off and had made one circle of the field to get the feel of her. This was my first flight during the event. Then the airplane wouldn't respond. I had lost it completely. I was using a PCM R'x and was fighting for control while in and out of fail safe. Another pilot, who had followed the proper in-pound procedures, by having the channel pin, had turned on his radio to check out his airplane. I never got control of her and she went in hard. The firewall held though, even with a hard glancing blow to the ground. The engine took a beating, but the firewall held solid. This was all my fault and I was so glad no one got hurt and that it was my airplane. O have already ordered a new Pitts and sent the engine in for repairs. I also sent the R'x in to be tested. Expensive lesson, but could have been worse.

The rcu thread below has pictures of the crash damage. Ugly.
http://rcuniverse.com/showthread.php...261&forumid=38