RCU Forums - View Single Post - My first foamie... a SPAD Foamie
View Single Post
Old 03-12-2005, 12:21 AM
-pkh-
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My first foamie... a SPAD Foamie

I've been flying a nitro heli and planes up to now, and finally decided I wanted to make a foamie park flier. I've made several nitro SPADs, and even one brushed electric SPAD that was pitifully underpowered. I found plans for this "SPAD" foamie on http://www.spadtothebone.com , and decided to have a go at it. It's made from Bluecor foam (found at Lowes), plastic molding track for hardwood flooring (found at Home Depot), and some 3/8" square balsa used for the motor mount and to give the plastic molding track fuse some rigidity. My setup is very similar to what the prototype was in the plans, except for a little hotter motor . Here's my setup :

-Castle Creations Phoenix 25 ESC
-Himax 2812-850 outrunner motor
-APC 10X7E prop
-Great Planes 1500mAh 3S 11.1V LiPo pack
-Hitec HS-55 Servos
-Hitec Feather RX (may upgrade to dual conversion micro RX if this thing sucks )

Himax claims this setup is good for a max of 160W and 29oz of thrust... my foamie SPAD weighs in at only 15.4oz, so it should pretty much haul and do some vertical if asked too! It originally weighed in at 14.6oz, but I had to add some lead weight to the tail to balance it. I was hoping to maiden her this weekend, but it looks like we're due for some high winds, so maybe have to wait a little while longer .

Here are some pictures of her if you're interested. She's no beauty queen right now... just raw Bluecor with the printing on the outside (that's how the piece I cut was already folded), but after I fly her a few times and get her trimmed out, I plan to give here a nice high contrast paint job...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge94696.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	111.4 KB
ID:	242466   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rm36211.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	110.9 KB
ID:	242467   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ns43439.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	129.3 KB