RCU Forums - View Single Post - My first foamie... a SPAD Foamie
View Single Post
Old 03-12-2005, 02:47 PM
-pkh-
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: My first foamie... a SPAD Foamie

Well, I maidened her today... wind was only about 5mph with some gusts up to maybe 10 max. Perfect for nitro planes, but it made it a bit interesting for flying a foamie the first time! It flew pretty well, but I only got one flight in. I got her trimmed out and had a few minutes to just fly around and get the feel of it. When I brought it in for a landing, I had killed the throttle a few seconds before, but the prop was still spooling down, and it snapped the motor shaft off when I set it down! Turns out, this motor only has a 1/8" shaft, and it's known to snap pretty easily. I found out that Himax has upgraded their later versions of this motor with a much thicker shaft... in fact I picked one of these newer motors up today at a swap meet held in Lebanon, PA. I'm going to see if Himax will upgrade my 1/8" shaft or swap motors out for me... let you know how that goes!

This plane is not nearly as overpowered as I thought it would be... I flew around at about 1/2 to 2/3 throttle just trimming it out and flying around at a moderate speed. Definitely needed some power flying into the wind today!

As far as the Hitec Feather RX goes, it worked just fine, as long as I'm flying pretty much on my own in local parks, I'll probably just leave it on there. If I find myself flying it at the club very much, with several other TXs active on adjacent channels, I might put an Electron 6 on it instead.

I'll give you more of an update when I get some more flights in on it, and get a chance to do some mild aerobatics with it. But so far I'm very pleased with it... after flying my nitro "slimers", it's pretty cool to have a small, clean, quiet, park flyer to mess around with!