RCU Forums - View Single Post - Tuning - Temp vs Performance
View Single Post
Old 03-29-2005, 08:29 AM
ba_savage

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tuning - Temp vs Performance

There has been several discussions around tuning to temp vs performance. Since I did not own a temp gun up until last week, I tuned to performace. I mainly tuned to top end performance due to the fact that idling was not a problem but WOT was. I was talking to the mech at the LHS and his advice was to tune to temp for protection since these trucks can go much faster than our ability to drive them. I took the advice. After tuning on a warm day in Houston I felt things were running fine. The next day it was about 20-25 degrees cooler and I wanted to try tuning to temp. I took the temp after several passes and it was around 230 (temp was taken while in my garage). I then took it out to a open area and ran it around. Checked the temp and it wouldnt get over 150-160. When I am checking the temp, I am holding the temp gun inside the head trying to shoot it in the head as far as possible. Am I doing something wrong.

What are your thoughts on tuning to Temp vs Performance since the air temp will obviously affect the engine temp.