RCU Forums - View Single Post - Extreme Flight 87" Yak 54 - Build & Fly
Old 04-24-2005, 08:06 PM
going vert
My Feedback: (11)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Extreme Flight 87" Yak 54 - Build & Fly

ORIGINAL: bodyworks

Maiden flight today...had mild gusty winds and a storm a brewin', but the winds were not as heavy as yesterday. I couldn't wait any longer so I headed out. Takeoff was uneventful and I could tell right away that it was a KITE! Once in the air the winds were so choppy that trimming was out of the question, so I just got it as good as I could and started flying. I am going to have some serious fun with this plane once I get the engine broken in and some bugs worked out.
The only real bug I encountered was the engine tending to want to die when pulling level from a downline...I seem to remember some talk about this, but don't remember the cause or cure - can anyone help me out????????????
Anyway, I decided to bring her in and had a pretty decent crosswind. Instead of trying to crab it, I cam in at an angle (directly into the wind) until just before touchdown. So I pointed it down the runway and touched down. I don't know what happened, but the right gear leg folded back, causing me to bust my prop and scrape the right wing. It must have been a fluke or I struck something on the runway or something cuz the landing wasn't that bad...oh well - a new prop, gear, and some covering and I'll be back in the air. I can't wait for some perfect weather to get this thing set up, cuz it's gonna be an awesome flyer!
BTW, with the DA muffler, and my RX battery already hanging off the front of the engine box it still flies tailheavy - not by feel, but by observing knife edge. My only option may be (nasty word) lead!
I agree w/ Mantus - wait for the lead. Fly it some more and get the feel for it. I'm running the KS 1060 pipe w/out lead up front. I think you'll agree after you get more stick time. Also, roll to inverted to check the CG in flight - Not sure what KE will tell you about CG. Wayne is running your exact setup w/ RX battery on the wing tube and his CG is perfect w/out lead.