RCU Forums - View Single Post - Aiptek Pocket DV 5100M Mini Digital Camcorder? (Vs Mustek)
Old 05-25-2005, 08:41 AM
critterhunter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Aiptek Pocket DV 5100M Mini Digital Camcorder? (Vs Mustek)

Randall, my niece works up at Sprawlmart and gets a 10% discount, so today I gave her the money to go pick up the camera. I'll report back with info on it later. That's what I figured, if it doesn't own up to what I need I can take it back. It does have A/V outputs so I was thinking about later doing a live transmission feed from it on the plane, but right now I'll be happy to just do onboard recording. That's really what I wanted to avoid the transmission problems and also interference with the plane's TX. However, got a question for you...the TX from the wireless cam I bought last year (Remember, same one you had...)...can I wire this TX up to an AV plug and use that to transmit to it's RX, or are there problems with compatibility between different cameras and TX's? I'll post a full report on this camera when I play around with it. My main concerns are does it have an auto shutoff feature (Wouldn't it continue to record so long as I have the record button at least taped down?), and I have to figure out a way to keep the camera ON with the LCD panel closed. It might have an override switch for this but if it doesn't I have to find the LCD switch that does it and block it somehow. I didn't look close but at first glance there was no pressure switch or anything inside the LCD door. It might be in the hinge and that would be more difficult to fix. On the other hand, the unit won't turn off until the LCD is all the way closed so taping it slightly cracked open would solve it. We'll see. This unit uses CF memory cards, which I guess stand for compact flash cards? That seems different than the expandsion cards the Mustek uses. What are the pros and cons of a CF card and are they as cheap and easy to buy as others? It will hold up to over 500MB but I think I'll start with the 256K card as that will give close to 30 minutes, more than what I need at this time.