RCU Forums - View Single Post - Repair or buy new Marder?
View Single Post
Old 06-01-2005, 06:58 AM
Stegy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Repair or buy new Marder?

ORIGINAL: Mad Wax
Sometimes difficult to start compared to other Marder (even with choke on, usual priming) Goes fast initially, but then bogs down after a few minutes to a moderate jogging speed.It does rev. I've had a couple of experienced people look at it, they're stumped. The carb is OK because I've had a FWO Marder and swapped them over, it's still slow. It's got plenty of compression. With the other Marder runs fine, reliable engine. Brother is experienced in glo and petrol engines and can't figure it out either. Changed sparks, checked fuel lines etc.
Of course usual adjustments on carb to get correct setting, but to no avail..still unreliable.
I have a solution for your problem!! Well, it helped me with friends old Marder.
Take the engine out, separate the carb (unscrew from engine), and then take apart everything on the carb including choke & H & L needles/screws, but remember where all the screws & gaskets came from.
Now you need to buy a good carb cleaner (can use valvoline, silcolene or what ever you get) and clean it few times, especially hig & low speed needles/screws and all those holes, and spray inside those small holes where the gas goes in (next to choke) and out (opposite to the primer button).
Put all together, watch for gaskets to seat ok, put needles to factory settings (usually H needle 1.5 turns from closed & L needle 1.25 or better 1.5 turns), prime the fuel to the carb, choke it until it starts audible, open choke and pull.
That should do the job, and hope you'll be driving with big smile.