RCU Forums - View Single Post - Composite-Arf 33% Gee Bee R2 - First Flight - Pics - Videos - L@@K
Old 06-13-2005, 11:23 AM
Hope_For_The_Best
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Composite-Arf 33% Gee Bee R2 - First Flight - Pics - Videos - L@@K

Fellow Fliers,

Thanks for your interest in my questions [thread above]. I regret the unfortunate delay in my response, as I have "been out of town on business" for the last several months and my email provider wouldn't permit logging onto this site.

To answer questions concerning progress with my CA GB R-2, it goes like this: Progress was stalled in mid-January upon my departure. Until that time I successfully sourced most bits of hardware, including the recommended landing gear legs & wheels, servos, graphics, fuel tank, engine, etc. Among the things done was to trim, or "chamfer" the Sullivan 7" wheel/tire combo (as recommended by the Assy Manual addendum) to permit greater clearance between tires & gear legs. The chore was delayed by the need to acquire a rotary table for my drill press, and I finished one tire before I left town; the second waits until my return. Second, I replaced the steel axles with titanium rod, and added caged ball bearings to the wheels. The perceived need for both mods (axle & bearings) was to lighted the gear and add greater wobble-control to the Sullivan wheel nylon hubs. No other preparation or assembly work has been completed beyond that stated.

One added change in the configuration was replacement of the on-hand DA-150 with a Robart 780. This change was made for reason that the recommended Seidel ST525 was not then available--the DA would work fine, but I believe had too much power for the need [please, no "flames" for this perspective]--and the Robart has much the same weight/power as the Seidel. Besides, there was this opportunity I just couldn't refuse. . .

Work will resume upon my return to town in early August. Until then, thanks for your consideration & get out there and fly. Take advantage of your great opportunity and enjoy it!

VR
Jack