RCU Forums - View Single Post - Large scale gas airboat pictures
View Single Post
Old 07-03-2005, 10:43 AM
rcollector

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Large scale gas airboat pictures

The boat is 48 inches long 21 inches wide. It is a pure flat bottom with two short strakes to keep it from sliding so much. We have a lathe and milling machine so we were able to machine the clutch bell to accept a custom billet aluminum prop adapter that tightens down securly against the clutch bearing. It is very strong and true.

We would like to use something other than the wood prop but have not been able to find a pusher this size made out of something better. We tried many other prop sizes and the boat works best with the 18x6 that we have on it. The boat is kind of heavy so it seems if you go smaller with the propellor the prop will not grab enough air to get the boat up on a plane and if you go much larger with the prop it is too much for the engine to get it's RPM's up into it's power band.

We did have problems at first with water spray hitting the prop at times but if you notice in the picture the boat has spray rails on the sides. Now when you run the boat the propellor never comes in contact with any water. As I said the boat took a bit of testing to get right.

I have been running regular gas and nitro racing boats for a while and was quite surprised a what a challenge it was to for us to get this airboat working correctly. The info we found reading the posts here were al ot of help.

I will try to get the video posted soon.